SHARE

covid-19 is putting a dampener on the Naseby Volunteer Fire Brigade’s 150th celebrations.

The milestone was due to be celebrated on the weekend of September 19-20, but because of ongoing Covid-19 restrictions organisers have put their plans on hold.

Registrations had already started coming in and a line-up of events were planned, including a barbecue, parade and dinner, brigade secretary Craig Sherson said.

Because the district was at Alert Level 2, and there was no guarantee that level would be reduced by the time celebrations had been due to start, it was unable to go ahead.

‘‘I guess it’s the way the cookie crumbles,’’ he said.

At the time the decision was made, about 80 people had registered, including many over the age of 70.

Alert Level 2 limits all gatherings to 100 people, apart from in Auckland where it is limited to 10 people.

Another factor taken into consideration by organisers was the demographic of the Naseby population, which has a high proportion of older residents.

‘‘So, we thought it was the right call,’’ Mr Sherson said.

The group will reassess the situation in March. ‘‘We will do something — it will just be dependent on the Covid-19 situation.’’

The Naseby Volunteer Fire Brigade was established in July 1870 and has 15 members.

It responds to about 20 callouts a year, averaging about two a month, most of which are first-response medical callouts.