SHARE

Alexandra Rugby Football Club will likely be reimbursed $10,000 from the council after the club wore the full power bill for all users of changing rooms at Molyneux Park for about a decade.

At a meeting last week, the Vincent Community Board made the decision to reimburse the club but the agreed sum would be a final settlement.

Central Otago District Council parks and recreation manager Gordon Bailey worked out the club could be reimbursed about $16,000 based on the electricity used over the 12 months the council monitored the usage.

Based on bookings forms, the changing rooms were used about 60% of the time by the rugby club, he said.

In June 2020 the club requested the council reimburse it $37,102.34 because it paid for electricity at Molyneux Park it considered should have been paid by the council.

There are two separate electricity meters at Molyneux Park the club had paid.

The groundsman shed and bunker was on one meter and Molyneux Stadium’s side changing room on the other.

Upon investigation it was found the groundsman shed and bunker were connected to the club’s account.

That happened when the council upgraded the park’s irrigation system in late 2013.

The changing rooms connection to the club’s electricity meter was historical but the changing rooms were used only by the club for rugby games and practice from April to August/September each year.

The proposed compensation for the park’s side changing rooms was based on the club using them 60% of the time, leaving 40% of the total of $14,697 to be reimbursed and the recommendation to the board was to approve compensation of $7,641 to the club.

Board members said there was still a discrepancy and board deputy chairman Russell Garbutt moved to pay the sum of $10,000 as a final settlement and the rest of the board agreed.

The club’s manager Dai Johns considered the sum tabled.