SHARE

Treatment for Fire, the brown tabby kitten rescued by the Clyde Volunteer Fire Brigade, has been fully funded, following a nationwide SPCA appeal.

Fire was found trapped in a metal rubbish bin near the Clyde Fire Station by an Alexandra firefighter late last month.

The firefighter called Clyde Chief Fire Officer Steve Gee, who advised him to call 111 to spark a full fire response.

The 8 to 11-week-old kitten had to be cut free with bolt cutters by the quick-thinking fire crew.

for Fire, because she had a badly injured right hind leg, and when vets assessed it at Vetlife Wanaka, the injury and a subsequent infection were deemed so serious it needed to be amputated.

The surgery and her ongoing care were expensive, prompting the SPCA to ask for help in covering the costs via social media.

The response to Fire’s story was swift and the number of donations meant the SPCA raised more than the estimated $1200 required to cover the cost of her treatment.

Fire’s ongoing recovery was going well and she was starting to warm up to staff looking after her.

She is likely to be discharged into the care of the SPCA this week.