Public asked to help in search

SHARE

The father of missing Alexandra man Chris Bates is still appealing to the local community for help, five months after his son was announced missing.

Chris was last seen on February 11 and police announced him as missing on February 16.

“All we need is a clue to move the search forward. We need the public’s help,” Chris’s father, John Bates, said.

“We would like to say thank you to everybody that’s helped look for him and [tried to] bring him home,” Mr Bates said.

” Chris’s friends who have come up to search . the food brought to our house .. we’re very privileged to live in an area where people are so generous.

“Week in, week out the LandSAR guys have given literally thousands of man hours to help bring Chris home, and thank you to the police for everything they’ve done to date.”

Acting Central Otago sub-area supervisor Detective Sergeant Derek Shaw said the overall search was still ongoing and had been concentrated east of Alexandra, but no physical search had been made for eight weeks.

A thorough look at mobile phone records would be the police’s next step.