Lockdown hits and rather than grabbing breakfast from a café, snacks on the go and eating out (or taking away) a couple of times a week we’re faced with a daunting prospect. Preparing three meals a day – plus the inevitable snacks – at home.
Even working in nutrition I must admit I struggle for inspiration to keep things delicious, nutritious and exciting.
So, for anyone loving cheese and cracker hour, missing their favourite takeaway or gagging for a decadent burger, here are three recipes to keep things interesting… whilst also keeping your nutrition on point and those all-important quarantine kilos in check.
FLAVOURED CHEESE BITES
Amp Your Cheese & Cracker Hour With These Cheesy Bites
A block of cheese (melted in a bowl in the microwave/ on stove)
Chopped: Olives, Sundried Tomatoes, Bacon
Herbs: Central Otago Thyme, Rosemary, Cumin
Simply separate the cheese into silicon moulds or mini cupcake cases (you can make a whole block but these portion-controlled snacks work a treat)
Add your chosen toppings into the cheese here (this way you can make a few different flavours)
Place in the fridge to cool – once they are set, remove & enjoy!!
SWEET & SOUR MAKEAWAY
A sensational sweet and sour stir fry is a deliciously healthy take on a takeaway favourite
– 100-200g Prawns, Chicken, Pork or Tofu
– Your choice of veggies: My suggestions – Onion, Capsicum, Garlic, Ginger, Bok Choy, Green Beans, Broccoli & Cauliflower
– Cashew Nuts & Sesame Seeds
– 1 cup pineapple chunks in juice, tomato paste, sesame oil, coconut aminos/ gluten free soy sauce
– Cook Prawns, Chicken or Pork as you normally would
– Add the veggies to the same pan
– Add the sauce ingredients
(either include the pineapple or just use the juice)
– Stir fry until the veggies are cooked and the sauce has thickened
– Grate the cauliflower – cook for 2-3 minutes in the microwave with salt & pepper
NAKED BURGER STACK
– Beef or Lamb Burger (Quorn Burger or Halloumi)
– Giant Field Mushroom, Bacon, Red Onion, Tomato
– Herbs of choice – Rosemary for lamb, Paprika, Salt & Pepper for Beef
– Add an egg or tzatziki for an awesome feast!
– Place the mushroom in the oven (stalks removed)
– Fry the Bacon & Red Onion in a pan and set aside
– Cook the burger in a pan or on the barbie
– Once cooked stack them all together (on a token salad for good measure).
Will you give them a go?
Let us know if you do and send us your photos!
Got a question or want to know more? Get in touch with Amy – 0272650350, @amysfitnessandnutrition or email email@example.com.