A reminder of the value of Dunstan Hospital’s CT scanner was issued during an election meeting in which health issues got their first major airing last week.
Dunedin Hospital oncologist Lyndell Kelly, who is standing for the Otago constituency of the Southern District Health Board, criticised the time it took for diagnostic services in the board’s catchment, including months for referrals and long waiting times for the scanner in Dunedin.
“We have one CT scanner for 130,000 people [at Dunedin Hospital]. You’ve got one just down the road. You’re lucky.”
Dr Kelly was joined by seven other candidates for the Otago constituency and 18 candidates for other local government seats at last week’s second pre-election “meet the candidates” to be held in Alexandra.
Candidates all had two minutes to speak and a short time to answer follow-up questions.
Central Otago mayoral candidate and sitting Mayor Tim Cadogan said housing affordability was a major concern of his. The other mayoral candidate, Victoria Bonham, said environmental issues were her main concern.
Candidates for the Vincent ward of council, Vincent Community Board and Dunstan ward of the Otago Regional Council were also at the meeting.
- Tonight, 7.30pm, Lake Wanaka Centre. For Queenstown Lakes district council, community board and mayoral candidates.
- September 15, 2pm, St John’s Hall, Links Rd, Wanaka. For Otago Regional Council Dunstan ward candidates.
- September 16, 7pm, Maniototo Rugby Club Rooms, Ranfurly. For regional council candidates.
- September 17, 7pm, Cromwell Presbyterian Church. For mayoral, Cromwell council ward and community board, regional council Dunstan ward and Central Otago-based Southern District Health Board candidates.
- September 19, 7pm, Roxburgh Memorial Hall. For mayoral, Teviot Valley Community Board and regional council candidates.
- September 20, 7pm, room three, Otago Polytechnic, corner Erris and Ray Sts, Cromwell. For regional council candidates.
- September 22, 2pm, Central Stories Museum and Art Gallery, Alexandra. For regional council candidates.
- September 24, 7pm, Frankton, venue to be confirmed. For regional council candidates.