A list of some of the great things about Maniototo compiled by Maniototo businesswoman Amie Pont shows some of the projects and expansions taking place in the district.
As the district continues to operate in good heart, residents and visitors are being reminded of what’s going on in the business, tourism, education and health sectors.
– Maniototo is a vibrant, growing part of Central Otago that is vital to the Otago Central Rail Trail. We contribute significantly to our national and international markets.
– The Ministry of Education is currently signing off an $8.5million to $10million redevelopment of the Maniototo Area School. This will certainly encourage families to stay here or move here.
– Maniototo Health Services Ltd is currently planning a full redevelopment. There will be substantial fundraising in the area towards this.
– With unrealistic, increasing property prices in Queenstown, Arrowtown, Wanaka and Cromwell, property sales are already up 30% in Ranfurly.
– Businesses are changing hands, starting up and reopening. Our hardware store is expanding and is to build completely new premises.
– Maniototo has just been put on the map for the scenic route from Dunedin to Queenstown (with the international airports and the linking of the cycleways, the gates from Queenstown are well and truly open).
– The night-sky project will rival that of the Mackenzie Country.
– A major movie is scheduled to be filmed in 2017 with a focus on Ranfurly. The movie industry is a huge growth opportunity for us.
– Adventure tourism from Queenstown is rapidly increasing as more visitors look to real New Zealand experiences.
– A new group called Central Otago Events is working to market Central Otago as an events destination, thus creating seasonal spread. A local group has also been established to develop Maniototo as a complete wedding destination.
– The New Zealand Motor Caravan Association has bought a large piece of land behind the Burn 729am community radio station in Ranfurly and has developed it into a “park-up site”. It’s perfect for bringing lots of different people to the area.
– Our local shearing contractor Stringer Shearing has just expanded all its shearers’ quarters, which shows that the area is creating employment.
– With thanks to Amie Pont