This week’s Charms of Yesteryear takes us to St Bathans.
Like so many communities in the area, it was established on the back of the Central Otago gold rush.
One of the town’s long-standing buildings is the Bank of New South Wales gold office.
The News understands it was one of three former banks in the township.
Records imply it was simply known as the gold office.
It opened in 1864 and was originally situated across from its current location, near the tennis courts.
In its prime, it was described as a ‘‘sturdy wooden building with a staff of two’’.
The building was moved to Oturehua in the 1970s where it was restored before being relocated to St Bathans by the Department of Conservation in the 1980s.